Encounters with Box Wine

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Days shy of 45 years after he patented the idea of wine in a box, Australian winemaker Thomas Angove has died at the age of 92.

Angove was also the first winemaker in Australia to use stainless steel for the storage of wine in bulk, in addition to introducing new varieties of wine grapes to his home continent.

It was only a few days before I would get out of school and head on a month long endeavor of couch surfing that I found myself in an empty dorm room holding a bag full of wine, removed from its box, above the head of the editor of my school's newspaper. The night had been a long one in which I discovered that a slushie from Super America could most efficiently mask the taste of gin and that, yes, sometimes there really was a worm at the bottom of the tequila bottle.

Blacking out is a peculiar phenomenon.

Posted by Bamba Hadhur at 10:57 AM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment