Jens' Top Ten Movie Quotes

Saturday, August 30, 2008

In No Particular Order


The Graduate, (1967)
The emblem of adolescence. When Benjamin's father asks him, "don't you think that idea is a little half baked," Ben replies:

"Oh no Dad, it's completely baked."

Network, (1976)
Max says his final goodbyes to a trope of the modern ecological system:

"Music up with a swell; final commercial. And here are a few scenes from next week's show. "

Gone with the Wind (1939)
Tearing down her mother's green velvet drapes, Scarlett O'Hara declares:

"They're my portieres now, Mammy!"

Vertigo, (1958)
Kim Novak as the false Madeleine points her gloved finger at the growth rings of an ancient sequoia:

"Here I was born, and there I died."

The Wizare of Oz, (1939)
The gayest classic of them all. And in the aftermath of the AIDS crisis, it still lingers as an eerie ambassador of gay past, gay present, and gay future.

"I'll get you my pretty. And your little dog too."

Animal Crackers, (1930)
Comedy will never be the same.

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know."


2001: A Space Odyssey, (1968)
Man vs. Nature?

"Open the pod bay doors, HAL."

Planet of the Apes, (1968)
Man vs. Man?

"Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!"

The Godfather, (1972)
Agrarian tenacity comes to the city.

"In Sicily, women are more dangerous than shotguns."

Mommie Dearest, (1981)
And perhaps my favorite. Joan Crawford (Faye Dunaway) casts off utilitarianism:

"No wire hangers, ever!"





Posted by Bamba Hadhur at 2:05 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment